About Childcare Programs
DID YOU KNOW:
* Approximately 24 million school aged children require care while their parents are at work.
* There are almost 15 million latchkey children in the U.S.
* 63 percent of children in Florida have working parents
* Juvenile crime (vandalism, under age drinking, drug use, illicit sexual behavior) is most likely to occur between
the hours of 3:00 and 6:00 p.m.
WHEN LEFT UNSUPERVISED, STUDIES INDICATE CHILDREN:
* Have higher absentee rates at school
* Have lower academic test scores
* Exhibit higher levels of fear, stress, nightmares, loneliness, and boredom
* Are 1.7 times more likely to use alcohol
* Are 1.6 times more likely to smoke cigarettes
CHILDREN WHO PARTICIPATE IN QUALITY SCHOOL AGE CARE PROGRAMS:
* Are more cooperative with adults
* Are more likely to resolve conflicts by talking instead of hitting and fighting
* Improve their academic performance
* Avoid being retained a grade
SOURCE: 1998 NATIONAL SCHOOL AGE CARE ALLIANCE PUBLIC POLICY POSITION PAPER